Science Europe elects new President and Governing Board
The Science Europe General Assembly has elected a new Governing Board for the period 2023–2025, including a new Presidency. Mari Sundli Tveit (Research Council of Norway, RCN) is the new president; she is joined by vice-presidents Marcel Levi (Dutch Research Council, NWO) and Javier Moreno Fuentes (Spanish National Research Council, CSIC).
The Science Europe Governing Board is the senior body of elected members who is entrusted by the General Assembly to define, guide, and monitor the strategic direction of the association. See the Governing Board page for the full composition.
Mari Sundli Tveit is the Chief Executive of the Research Council of Norway (RCN). She has extensive leadership experience and expertise in research and research policy. “I am deeply honoured and look forward to assuming the important role of President at Science Europe,” said Mari Sundli Tveit. “The world faces formidable and complex challenges. These require outstanding ground-breaking research and increased efforts from research funders and research-performing organisations to strengthen the knowledge base, understand the challenges better and contribute to solutions and knowledge-based decisions. Science Europe plays an important role, both strategic and in research policy,” she added.
She succeeds Marc Schiltz, who was the President of Science Europe since 2017. He said that it was his privilege and honour to serve as president: "I enjoyed every moment working together with all the Science Europe member organisations, heads of research councils, my great colleagues on successive Governing Boards, our partners from other Associations, in particular the European University Association, the European Commission, and the European Research Council (ERC)."
He also extended his congratulations to new President Sundli Tveit: "I warmly congratulate Mari on her election. I have had the chance to work with her for two years on the outgoing Governing Board and I am sure she will be a great leader for Science Europe."
The Science Europe Office looks forward to working with the new governance in the coming years.
The full new Governing Board:
- Mari Sundli Tveit, Chief Executive of the Research Council of Norway (RCN) (President)
- Marcel Levi, President of the Dutch Research Council (NWO) (Vice-President)
- Javier Moreno Fuentes, Vice President of the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC) (Vice-President)
- Adrian Curaj, General Director of the Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation Funding (UEFISCDI), Romania
- Anna Di Ciaccio, Director of the National Institute for Nuclear Physics (INFN), Italy
- Matthias Koenig, Vice President of the German Research Foundation (DFG)
- Katarina Bjelke, Director General of the Swedish Research Council (VR)
- Milica Đurić-Jovičić, Acting Director of the Science Fund of the Republic of Serbia (SFRS)
- Christof Gattringer, President of the Austrian Science Fund (FWF)
- Christopher Smith, Executive Chair of the Arts and Humanities Research Council, UK Research and Innovation (UKRI)