2023 GRC European Regional Meeting
The Global Research Council (GRC) is a network comprised of the Heads of science and engineering funding agencies from around the world. Every year, they meet to discuss relevant issues for research funding communities. The next Annual Meeting will take place in 2024.
On 20–21 November 2023, Heads of Organisation in the European region will meet to discuss and prepare European contributions to the Annual Meeting. Similar meetings will take place in the four other GRC regions: Americas, Asia–Pacific, Middle East/North Africa, and Sub-Saharan Africa.
About the European Regional Meeting of the Global Research Council
For this edition of the GRC meeting, the SNSF and FONSTI decided to focus on the overarching theme of “sustainable research”. This has been developed around three related topics:
- Research for sustainable development - strengthening the contribution of research to sustainable development
- Making research itself sustainable – making research itself an expression of economic, ecological and social responsibility
- Making sure sustainability science matters – supporting scientific knowledge’s benefits to policy makers and people. You can find the background paper here.
The questions proposed for discussion around the three topics are based on the background paper, 'Effective research contributions towards sustainable development' that SNSF and FONSTI have prepared.
Over the two days, the meeting will address various aspects of these topics. On the first topic, participants will be invited to reflect on ways to strengthen the contribution of research to sustainable development. They will also discuss about the best approaches to motivate institutions to implement sustainable measures. On the second topic, the discussion will focus on making research itself an expression of ecological and social responsibility. The third topic, then seeks to establish ways of supporting scientific knowledge’s benefits to policy makers and people.
The 2023 European regional meeting will be co-hosted by:
- The Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research, and Innovation Funding of Romania (UEFISCDI)
- Science Europe
The European regional meeting of the GRC will be organised as a physical event in Bucharest, Romania, with the possibility of remote attendance. Additional activities will be organised for the physical participants. The meeting is structured as follows:
- Three main sessions will focus on the three topics mentioned above.
- Additional sessions will address GRC matters, such as activities of the GRC working groups and the development of the GRC Roadmap.
The European regional meeting of the GRC is an event that is by invitation only. Invited participants include Heads of European research and engineering-funding organisations that are GRC participants, as well as invited organisations and experts.